Protect Yourself and Your Family from Colds and Flu This Winter
Winter is Coming!
Every winter when you get sick, you tell yourself to be more prepared next year. As soon as someone sneezes at work, school, or home, you find yourself with yet another cold or flu.
It does not have to be that way this chilly winter season. Arm yourself and your family with the tools to build strong immune defences to reduce your risk of getting sick.
If you do get sick, a strong immune system will also reduce the severity of your cold and flu symptoms, and help to speed your recovery.
Lifestyle and Dietary Recommendations
Incorporate these handy tips into your life to improve your resistance and support recovery from colds and flu:
- Rest! Give your body a chance to gather strength and make sure you get a good night’s sleep.
- Eat warm, nourishing foods. Homemade chicken and vegetable soup can help break down mucus that often comes with colds and flu. If you don’t have an appetite, the broth alone will provide minerals and vitamins to give you strength.
- Eat foods such as garlic, ginger, onion and chilli to help fight off illness, warm you up and reduce inflammation.
- Drink plenty of water to keep yourself well hydrated.
- Natural Medicines to Prevent and Treat Symptoms
There are many Nutritional Medicines that are beneficial in preventing, treating and shortening the duration of cold and flu viruses. These agents can boost your immune system as well as provide the necessary tools to help you fight against infection. Look out for these immune boosters:
Optimal levels of zinc in the body have been found to inhibit the common cold and influenza viruses.
Vitamin C supports healthy immune function by enhancing the activity of your immune defence army of white blood cells; reducing severity and duration of symptoms.
These friendly bacteria live in your digestive system and enhance health, and even immunity. Probiotic strains, Lactobacillus acidophilus (NCFM), Bifidobacterium lactis (HN019) and Lactobacillus rhamnosus (HN001), have been scientifically proven to enhance immune responses. By providing healthy gut immunity, you are providing the best defence against inhaled and ingested pathogens.
Make sure you are prepared this cold and flu season and remember, prevention is better than cure! Have all the essential immune nutrients on hand this winter. You may want to include zinc, vitamin C, strain specific probiotics in your immune first aid kit, to keep you and your family well.
Talk to your Practitioner about individualised patient formulations today.
Sachiko Giorgilli is a Nutritional Medicine practitioner at Four Seasons Wellness Centre.