Prepare for a happy & comfortable festive celebration – one without indigestion & bloating
By Sylvia Ong, Four Seasons Naturopath and Bowen Therapist
Christmas is a wonderful time of the year when family, friends and food are enjoyed in abundance. This Christmas why not plan a wonderful meal that is good for the body and the soul?
Be prepared. Herbal medicine is effective in minimizing digestive symptoms. Customized herbal digestive tonics with carminative and anti spasmodic actions prevent bloating and indigestion.
Some tips on how to minimize indigestion and bloating this Christmas:
1. When visiting family and friends, inform them of your food intolerances in advance, especially if gluten, wheat and dairy affect you. For example homemade gluten free bread or brown rice salad are a good alternative carbohydrate option. For those with fructose malabsorption, as there are more foods on the list of Fodmaps, provide examples of foods that affect you and bring alternatives!
2. Be mindful of the sweet stuff – ice cream, chocolate, cakes and puddings. Consume sparingly and take along a bottle of digestive enzymes in case of indigestion. Make a healthy dessert instead like this delicious Raw Vegan Blueberry Cheesecake.
3. Seafood such as prawns and salmon are high in Omega 3, which is anti-inflammatory and low in salt – a perfect way to indulge on luxurious produce whilst doing the best for your body.
4. Fruit infused waters are delicious, refreshing and keep you hydrated whilst reminding you not to overindulge on wine and beer.
5. Include lots of colourful and exciting vegetables and fruits in your Christmas meal. Try a new salad recipe and keep preparation simple, light and relaxed. Most importantly, enjoy!
SYLVIA ONG is a Naturopath and Bowen Therapist at Four Seasons Wellness Centre who specialises in food intolerances such as fructose malabsorption, lactose intolerance and gluten intolerance. Sylvia has special interest in digestive health (e.g. IBS, Coeliac disease), skin conditions (Eczema and Psoriasis) and Chronic fatigue syndrome. CONTACT SYLVIA HERE
Naturopathy involves a holistic approach in managing your health. It involves dietary and lifestyle changes. Nutritional supplementation and herbal medicine is also used to help you achieve a better quality of life.
January bookings: Get a special ‘Cleanse & Detox’ package of 3 Naturopathy consultations for $200, (1hr for initial & ½ hour for 2 follow up appointments.) Package does not include additional remedies.
March bookings: For an Initial Bowen therapy session get $10 off the usual price of $75.